A list of the Personal Data Marine Data Cloud may collect, and why we collect it, follows.
What is personal data?
Personal data means any information relating to you which allows us to identify you, such as your name, contact details and information about your access to our website, mobile app and other Marine Data Cloud Services.
We may collect personal data from you when you use our website or mobile apps, you register with us, purchase any of our services, or when you contact us. We may also collect personal data either directly or indirectly through our trusted third party partners.
What types of personal data does Marine Data Cloud collect?
Registration and log-in information
We collect the information you provide in our registration form when you sign up for an account. In order to become a Member of TheBoatApp/TheBoatDB you need to provide us your full name, email address and password in order to create your own personal account.
Marine Data Cloud collects information of visitors of our website or mobile apps, where this is voluntarily provided to meet a request from those individuals, such as when they interact with Marine Data Cloud 's Services, including indicatively but not limited to Customer Service and Sales teams in order to accurately categorize and respond to their requests. For example, we collect email address, and other information when visitors fill our contact form and request any information on our services, or the information they provide us when they use our service desk reporting forms or apply for a vacant position in our company.
Employee and Human Resource Data
Marine Data Cloud collects information from applicants to open positions or seeking employment with us, including private contact details, professional qualifications and previous employment history, necessary to reach employment decisions. Once employed, we collect information on staff for human resource, performance, payroll and tax purposes. We will collect and record employee level information in various company systems consistent with standard business operations such as the staff calendar or the company email platform that we use. We may also collect similar information relating to freelance consultants and contractors.
Use of Services
We collect information when you interact with and use the TheBoatApp/TheBoatDB website, TheBoatApp/TheBoatDB mobile applications and API. Specifically, we collect information about what and how you use our Services, such as the types of vessels you view or the frequency and duration of your activity. This can also include information about content you provide, such as the name or location of a photo you upload or the date a file was created by you. For example, we may log activity when you rate photos, click on ads, install a Marine Data Cloud mobile application, etc.
When you access our website and mobile apps or open electronic correspondence from us, our servers may record data regarding your device and the network you are using to connect with TheBoatApp/TheBoatDB. We collect information from or about the computers, phones or other devices where you access or install our Services, such as the operating system and hardware version you use, device settings, battery and signal strength, device identifiers and locations, including specific geographic locations, such as through GPS, Bluetooth or WiFi signals. For example, if you have given permission to the TheBoatApp/TheBoatDB mobile application to use your device's location, we might use this information for statistical purposes or to check you in a vessel or improve tracking coverage. We also collect information about your connection such as your internet service provider or your mobile operator, browser type, language and time zone, mobile phone number and IP address.
Information from third – parties
We may collect information about you and your activities on and off TheBoatApp/TheBoatDB from third-party partners, such as information from a partner when we offer our Services jointly or from an advertiser about your experience or interaction with them.
How do we use your personal data?
We may process the personal data we collect in the following ways:
- Filing and archiving your personal data in databases for the proper execution of our Services to you
- Delivering, developing and improving our Services
- To communicate with you about our Services and inform you about our policies and terms and keeping records of this communication
- To promote and ensure the security of our website and Services
- Internal accounting and administration
- To comply with our legal obligations, for example regarding labour or tax law
- For research and analysis in relation to our business and services, including but not limited to trends and preferences in sales and use of our website and apps
- Involving you in market research and seeking feedback regarding our relationship with you and/or the service we have provided
- Targeted marketing communications relating our products and services (and those of third parties) that we think may interest you, in case you have expressly requested and/ or consented to receiving such actions from us.
We will only process your information, if you have previously given your consent to such processing (which you may withdraw at any time in the future), or in case the processing is necessary to provide our services to you; or for compliance with our legal obligations; and/or the processing is necessary for our legitimate interests or those of any third party recipients that receive your personal information; or according to our contractual arrangement.
Is personal information disclosed to third – parties?
Marine Data Cloud takes the privacy of your personal data very seriously, and we do not sell, rent, or otherwise provide your personally identifiable information to third parties, except as described in this policy.
- Our employees; Marine Data Cloud ensures that our employees who process your personal data are perfectly trained regarding the lawful manner for any processing thereof and have access only on a need-to-know basis in order to meet legitimate business purposes or according to the execution of contractual obligation.
- Our contractors and service providers, including suppliers of IT based solutions, that assist Marine Data Cloud in providing its Services;
- External business advisers, such as lawyers and auditors;
- Financial institutions and credit card providers, according to your explicit consent and authorization for the execution of a payment order (for example PayPal or Braintree);
- Google, mainly for email and calendar services and the provision of Google Analytics service;
- Marketing and market research and analysis companies (for example Salesforce and Hubspot);
- Government agencies, public authorities and regulatory bodies in order to comply with a valid and authorized request, including a court order or other valid legal process.
Regarding the abovementioned third-party partners of Marine Data Cloud, we ensure that that any processing of the personal data we may disclose to them is subject to the terms of this policy and concerns exclusively the defined by Marine Data Cloud purposes as described above. For that reason, we adopt contractual agreements whereby the usage of specific technical safety measures is mandated in order to safeguard that your personal data remain secure and is processed only for the purposes defined by us, and not further in manner that is incompatible with our purposes, and in any case in compliance with the applicable law. We may also provide aggregated anonymous information about the usage of our Services to third parties for our legitimate purposes such as to prospective advertisers on Marine Data Cloud.
Marine Data Cloud is committed to protecting the security of your information and takes reasonable precautions to protect it. Once we receive your data transmission, we make all commercially reasonable efforts to ensure its security on our systems:
We implement and maintain appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure a security level appropriate to protect personal data provided to us from accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure, or access to personal information transmitted, stored or otherwise processed. We train all our employees meticulously to follow the principle of strict compliance with all legal requirements. Certain Marine Data Cloud Services support the use of standard SSL encryption to protect data transmissions. Your personal information and data stored in our systems is protected by various physical, electronic and procedural safeguards. It is housed in a secure facility, and Marine Data Cloud and our hosting partners restrict physical and network access to this facility to selected trained staff. Your Marine Data Cloud password is protected by encryption so that only you have knowledge of it.
We regularly evaluate and review our technologies, facilities, procedures and potential risks to maintain the security and privacy of our users' data. In any case we will destroy or de- identify personal information once we no longer require it for our business purposes as explained herein, or as required by law.
Marine Data Cloud is not responsible for any third party’s actions or their security controls with respect to personal information they may collect or process via their websites, services or otherwise.
In addition to cookies, we are utilizing browser local storage technology to store your preferences and make your user experience more consistent. Local storage is a persistent type of storage, that provides similar functionality to cookies, but its contents are not transmitted across the Internet, like cookies are.